you know, so many people in society today are caught up with labels. boyfriend. job. home. everything’s gotta be defined.
no label, however, has been more elusive in definition than ‘gamer’. since the dawn of time, humanity has sought to define what it means, exactly, to be a gamer. when your grandma begrudgingly gives your wii super mario brothers game a chance, is she a gamer? when your boyfriend tries [and fails] to beat you at crash bandicoot’s tag team racing, is he a gamer? what about when your pet walks into your controller joystick and moves your character ever so slightly forward?
don’t despair. you may think that hope is lost, but the good people of joystickradio.com have come through for us. here’s a checklist of true gamer signs.
- When you think about games, love to play games, and pay more attention to your games than your job.
- When your significant other calls you a gaming nerd.
- When all of your meals take place in front of your console.
- When you have more than one of the same type of console, and both work. (2 Xbox 360s, 2 PS3s)
- When you have over $2000 invested in gaming. (Consoles, gear, accessories, games, etc.)
- When all you drink is Halo-themed Mountain Dew.
- When you admit to being “addicted to games”.
- When you can’t pass up a GameStop (or any other game store) without going in.
- When you have more than one copy of the same game.
- When you have an extra console as a “backup” in case your current one breaks.
- When you take a console on vacation.
- When someone scares you, and you scream “Zombie!” and run away.
- When games are more important to you than eating, or personal hygene…
- When you pre-order games that don’t come out for 7+ months.
- When all of your forum signatures include your Gamer Card.
- When you call your friends “noobs”.
- When you name your pets after your favorite video game characters.