i’ve been playing a lot of great games lately, but a disturbing pattern is starting to form. if you’re an avid gamer, you’ve likely noticed that a lot of games are showing the same sort of trend – yeah, they’re great, but they share a lot, like scattered items over a huge map, or health regen, stuff like that. here’s a list of the most annoying game development trends.
– huge map, tons of stuff to collect [who the hell has the time to get all the damn feathers in assassin’s creed 2? or the shards in infamous? or the ambient freeplay things in the saboteur?]
– trophies for type of guns shot [i hate this most of all. i KNOW how to shoot shit.]
– trophies for number of headshots [honestly, if you can’t aim, you are screwed.]
– health regeneration [all games. it concerns me when people bitch about realism in games like modern warfare 2. how is that game real? you get shot by a bunch of bitches, and if you hide long enough, your wounds are magically better.]
– when you beat the game, you can’t keep playing [i hope uncharted and uncharted 2 developers read this and fidget uncomfortably.]