uh oh. holiday season is coming – what have you got for the gamer or gamers in your life? shopping for gamers is the easiest thing in the world. to begin with, every electronic store in the land has a sale of some kind going on. then there’s the game publishers themselves. they have been packaging and bundling all kinds of shit in time for the holidays. and retailers are eating it up.
- best buy has a category of games under $10, but to be honest, they’re mostly shitty. bionic commando is the only one worth it, although dark void is pretty good too.
- wii games – you can buy wii games on a broad scale. depending what you want to buy, you’ve pretty much got your pick. i’ve seen tenchu for $4.99 in best buy’s used section, and i think it runs around $10 or $15 new. i got my mom a pinball game for $19.99, and scored need for speed for about $20 as well.
- they favouritize xbox 360 here, holy shit! eat lead: the return of matt hazard is going for $4.99. they’ve got rainbow 6 and the saboteur for $9.99. what a bargain, i love those games. you can get alone in the dark for that price too.
- crazy enough, the bioshock 2 special edition is going for $20!
- of course, you know i have to mention the saboteur. GET IT.
shopping at best buy bonuses? the price watch feature on their web site. plus, if you have the best buy card, you get points to use for further purchases.
- the red dead undead nightmare expansion pack for $30. most games have played red dead redemption – honestly, if they don’t have it, get that game.
- here and there they have sales – dj hero 2, for example, is $50 off.
- medal of honor [xbox 360] is $20 off – meh.
if all else fails, get them a gift certificate from ebgames. ebgames has those cool little gift card boxes, usually in the shape of your
best friend console.
queen elizabeth: loving the wii
i have been foiled by england AGAIN. not that i am a huge wii supporter, but i hate it when one country gets something and another doesn’t. you know? like do i have time to fuck off to japan and pick up some super limited edition console? hell no. can i jet off to england and pick up this limited edition wii? of course not. i can’t possibly find the time to do such things. or leave the babies. little_nerdxo maybe, but she refuses to handle live crickets for the geckos, and that is the only food that those innocent children eat. so as you can see, i am at an impasse.
many of you probably remember when i practically had to be medicated when it turned out i couldn’t get the special edition of alone in the dark: inferno. sure, i could get it from ebay uk, but between the hassle, general unreliability of couriers, etc, i decided not to get it. there has been an ache in my heart ever since.
BAH. as part of nintendo’s big anniversary, they are releasing a red wii in england. and japan. here’s a snippet of what we across the pond are missing out on:
Nintendo DSi XL Special Edition Pack available across Europe from 22nd October 2010 which includes a red Nintendo DSi XL branded with character icons and a copy of New Super Mario Bros.
On 29th October 2010 the New Super Mario Bros. Wii Pack will launch across Europe including a red Wii, a red Wii Remote Plus, a red Nunchuk and three games. As well as New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports, the bundle will also include the original edition of Donkey Kong pre-installed on the Wii, in homage to Mario’s first ever appearance.
UPDATE: someone from eb games wrote in and let me know that we will be getting it here after all!! head over to your local eb games and pre-order it. it releases on november 7 of this year.
i get so many questions from new ps3 owners: what ps3 games should i get? game stores want you to buy the most possible, of course. very few big box stores will tell you that a game is a waste of your time. truth to be told, a lot are. or rather, what seems like a great idea is poorly executed. we aren’t singling you out, turning point: fall of liberty, but if you feel guilty we all understand.
now, i should say that there’s nothing wrong with having all sports titles on your shelf, or only shooters. however, in my experience, many gamers like variety. and as we know, it’s the spice of life.
what i’ve done here is given a list of games every ps3 owner should have on the shelf. most can be obtained cheaply, which is nice too. some are also exclusive to the playstation, and they’ve been marked with an asterisk.
- red dead redemption
- the saboteur
- fallout 3
- uncharted *
- uncharted 2 *
- god of war 3 *
- eat lead
- alone in the dark
- infamous *
- bionic commando
- assassin’s creed 2
- battlefield bad company
- rainbow six vegas 2
i’ve been having a hard time going platinum on alone in the dark. it’s SO tough. the handyman carnby trophy will, i feel, be the death of me. the combinations are ridiculous, and there are just so many of them. here’s some more ps3 games that have been deemed* to be impossible to platinum on. the full article can be found here, but a quick list is enclosed for you below.
- bioshock 2
- guitar hero: metallica / van halen / smash hits
- grand theft auto iv
- street fighter iv
- wipeout hd
* by the community
what is it about england that the video game industry is so gaga about? what powers do those strange, tea-drinking bastards possess? a while back, i wrote about how only in the uk could you obtain an ‘alone in the dark’ collector’s edition. i recently searched on ebay canada for it. no luck. you can find it on ebay uk, and mercifully they ship here. maybe i will do that.
now, i hear MORE of this type of news: the uk is getting a big, sexy ezio action figure. now granted it’s being priced at an obscene £199.99 [that’s about $320], but i would sell my soul to own this thing. it’s coming around the release of the new assassin’s creed: brotherhood game later this year. listen to this:
– One creamy white coloured shirt
– One brown-colour cape with leather-like upper part
– Two grey-colour jackets with red-colour stripe (hat included in a jacket)
– Two brown-colour belts with metal-like buckle; sword and dagger sheaths
– One red-colour scarf put under belts
– One pair of brown-colour pants
– One pair of brown-colour forearm gauntlets where hidden blades can be put inside
– One pair of brown-colour long buckled boots
– One metal-like long sword
– One metal-like short sword
– Two metal-like hidden blades inside forearm gauntlets
– Six metal-like throwing daggers
– One necklace
– Figure stand with Ezio nameplate and video game logo
– Three pieces of interchangeable posing palms including
– One pair of open palms (right palm with glove)
– One (pair of relaxed palms
– One pair for holding swords (right palm with glove)
– Each piece of head sculpt is specially hand-painted
you can read the full post at electronictheatre.co.uk.
for centuries, survival horror games haven’t, uh, been my forte. neither have terror games. sure, i may pretend i need new pants after a particularily vigorous round of deathclaw hunting, but i don’t really. there’s always bullets in a role-playing game. or shooter. you know? if you can’t find the bullets, you buy them. or kill people for them.
alone in the dark is totally different. the series has been around since the 90s – i used to play alone in the dark: the new nightmare on my gameboy colour. alone in the dark covers ps2, wii, xbox 360, ps3 and even windows. reactions have been mixed – generally, this seems like the best platform. i play it on ps3, and it’s so… creepy. good, but oh so creepy. like i said, it’s survival horror. the alone in the dark plot is covered nicely [shock] on wikipedia. what i like about the game is the interactivity. you make a lot of weapons from stuff lying around.
in the uk, a limited version contains a buttload of stuff:
a 15 cm edward carnby figurine
an art book
a bonus ‘making of alone in the dark’ dvd
a cd audio soundtrack
the game itself
on this side of the pond, we don’t have anything like this. however, we can pick up a great game for $15 at eb games. definitely a good buy!
i think this is something that has occurred to every gamer, at some point. personally, while i am close to platinum on many games, i’m not quite there yet. i’ve only gotten fallout 3’s trophy – and that was a pile of effort. anyway, here are a list of games that are apparently easy to get platinum on. note that i wrote ‘games’, and not ‘total waste of your goddamn time’.
- burnout paradise
- god of war 3 [so i have heard]
- fallout 3 [as mentioned]
- uncharted 2: among thieves
- uncharted: drake’s adventure
- terminator salvation
- alone in the dark
- sonic sega’s collection
anyone else have anything to add?