another day, another exclusive ps3 game list. we can never get too many of those, can we? of course not. and so, without further ado, obnoxious gamer and thesixthaxis.com brings you 10 essential ps3 exclusives. some are old, some are new, but they are mostly worth a look. it’s a four page article so i will boil it down.
8. uncharted 2
7. heavy rain
6. gran turismo 5
5. modnation racers
4. god of war III
2. metal gear solid 4
1. killzone 2
i am so sick of hearing how other games are going to ‘convert’ console gamers. it’s the iphone. it’s the computer. it’s the ipad. goddamn it, now even n4g, the rational voice of gamers everywhere, has joined the fray. they are trying to tell us that computers are going to replace the console.
fuck those guys. fuck the horse they rode in on too.
i am a firm believer that gamers are never going to give up their console. why? mainly because i believe that the market can support both. both have their pros and cons. read up for obnoxious gamer’s specifics, bitches.
- we use it to watch movies.
- we use it to watch tv.
- it’s the investment. we have all poured a shocking amount of money into the hardware and software of our ps3.
- it does the internet. sure, you can have some fancy sound system, but the internet browser will run a youtube playlist. and how cool is it to have a party with a video playlist?
- laptops, if you are hoping for any portability, have small screens. do you want to play killzone 2 on your dinky 16″ screen, or would you prefer a rocking 60″ tv?
- remote play features. it’s a commuter’s wet dream.
- 3D gaming. i used to think it was a load of horseshit and then i tried it at future shop. it was totally the restaurant scene in when harry met sally.
- it helps cure CANCER. seriously, stanford university gets the thumbs up here. can millions of gamers go wrong? of course not. what a brilliant idea.
- hardcore computer gamers are insufferable nerds. have you ever met a world of witchcraft player in real life? some of my friends play this shit. lord god if my eyes don’t just bleed after a while when they’re talking about their
cult guild. and when they bail on actual life because they’ve got some dumbass raid mission or christ knows what? lame.
anyway, that list was without any real effort. just so the haters out there understand, i am not saying that computer gaming is without merit. i spend a lot of time playing stuff like geneforge 2 and the sims on my mac. i really enjoy it. logistically, i personally don’t think that those games would work on a ps3.
i am sure we can all think of reasons why computer gaming will never replace the console. just to be on the safe side, let’s all get out there with some propaganda though.
well, not sure how true this is, but here’s what megabitsofgaming.com thinks are the most overrated games. they’ve got most of it, i think. frankly, i have heard so much of twilight princess from little_nerdxo i really get fed up. they’re basing the list from metacritic.com, and it’s a pretty good one:
- forza motorsport 2
- legend of zelda: twilight princess
- grand theft auto iv
- halo 3
- call of duty modern warfare 2
- metal gear solid 4: guns of the patriots
- killzone 2
- mass effect
- super smash brothers brawl
- guitar hero II
helghast action figure
well kids, just in case your dork kingdom is not complete, we have this. apparently there will be killzone action figures coming soon. so far, it seems to just be those fucking weirdass helghast creatures that stalk you through the whole game.
dc comics has this promotional copy to offer:
The Helghast Assault Infantry figure stands at 6.25″ high and features multiple points of articulation. 4-color clamshell packaging.
On Sale January 19, 2011
is anyone else shuddering at this? i mean, i am all for game merch… but these guys give me the creeps. no one wearing a gas mask will ever be something you wanna see.
…ahhh, damn. who are we kidding? i’ll probably buy it anyway.
last night over dinner, little_nerdxo tells me her friend is planning to get a ps3. i was stoked, mainly since it meant another real-world buddy on my game list. it was also a big deal since this friend used to be married to the wii.
the wii’s got a place in my heart and all, but little_nerdxo summed it up best: ‘now she’s really into video games, and she wants a serious system.’
indeed. so what are some reasons, besides all the marketing foofah, to get a ps3? we break it down like so:
- god of war 3. although i guess if you need more reasons, keep reading.
- ‘folding@home’: this is a program that the ps3 has. if you activate it, it uses your machine’s spare computational cycles (when you are not kicking ass) to help stanford university scientists perform cancer research.
- if you have an older model in a small room, it will keep your house warm.
- all movies are smoother, thanks to the blu-ray player technology
- speaking of blu-ray, it’s the best player on the market.
- it’s ready out of the box. no buying adapters, or buying a web browser.
- play for free online. yeah. FREE.
- there’s something for everyone. whether you are a hardcore gamer, a family, or a kid, everyone’s got something.
- if it breaks, it can be fixed quickly. no infamous red ring of death like xbox360.
- we get weird japanese and indie games, like flow, flower and the last guy.
- multimedia features: pop a compact flash card in there, and watch your pictures instantly.
- make it into a server, if you’re web-savvy enough.
- pop your usb/external hard drive in, and listen to music. or stream from your computer.
- the stuff you can do with the ps3 and psp together.
- the fact you can install another operating system on your machine.
- the strange and fun place that is playstation home.
- bluetooth functionality. the xbox allows ONE headset with their system: theirs. the ps3? you can use anything with it.
- charge your controllers with a cable. fuck this ‘i need batteries’ shit the xbox360 whines about.
- our exclusive games. infamous, killzone 2, the uncharted series and so much more.
in a stunning turn of events, it seems that the last bastion of console safety has fallen to hacker pirates. or pirate hackers. we’re not sure of the wording but something has fallen and it is doubtful if it can get up. friends, gamers, and others: lend me your ears. the ps3, once a fortess of safety and previously thought immune to hackers, appears to have been cracked. now as we know, the wii, xbox360, nintendo ds, and the psp have all fallen victim over the last few years. users of those systems have the option to illegally download games using torrents. why anyone would do this is beyond us. it’s highly illegal, the quality is usually sub-standard and if caught, you risk jail time, fines and possibly having your online account banned. not only that: you are screwing the developers. would naughty dog have put as much heart as they did into uncharted 2 if the first one had been ripped off by unscrupulous gamers? probably not, right? developers have to live and eat just like we do.
Cracking the PS3 - hacker holy grail
according to maxconsole, the following is a proven recipe. it’s a convoluted and expensive method, but by all accounts, sources indicate it is possible.
- Install Ubuntu on your PS3 (or kubuntu)
- Install Windows XP on Ubuntu
- Install CloneCD on Windows XP and connect to network another PC so has seen in My Network Places. I do not know if AnyDVD HD is necessary, but I installed it for me
- Open CloneCD, select new image, insert the game, select “Protected PC Game”, change the extension to ISO.
- Ripper Blu-Ray on PC via network favorites.
- Burn with ImgBurn (or CloneCD) in 1X on the PC or has been ripped game
to do so is not cost-effective, plus finding the actual software and hardware would be tough. additionally, not every game works, but motorcross, killzone 2, burnout paradise and PES 2008 have been confirmed.
while paying $70 a game is excessive, the alternative isn’t to steal things just because you can’t afford them.
as you may have deduced from the title of this post, this is not going to be about nintendo. here’s a list of the best downloadable add-ons as seen by sony. apparently you can also see this at home, as the newest ps3 update has a specific store section for this.
now, the list i found was a bit vague at times, so i have taken the [or teh, if i was being a nerd] liberty of including smarmy comments for you. you’re welcome, just doing my job.
- Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 1 [i suppose to give gamers who didn’t buy into modern warfare 2 some love?]
- Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 2 [ibid]
- Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 3 [seriously? make them buy the next goddamn game.]
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Variety Pack [wasn’t this just released? i’m almost insulted.]
- LittleBigPlanet Metal Gear Solid – Level Kit [fanboys. love ’em or hate ’em…oh who are we kidding, just hate them.]
- Resident Evil 5 Versus Mode [the holidays sure brings out the weirdos]
- “Don’t Stop Believing” by JOURNEY [love you guys. muah.]
- Rock Band Sony Export Key [interesting.]
- Fallout 3: Broken Steel [seriously? this wasn’t even one of the best ones.]
- Killzone 2: Steel & Titanium Pack [been thinking about getting killzone 2, to be honest. and now with this vague promise of more stuff, i can only say i am closer to an answer.]
- LittleBigPlanet Killzone Mini-Pack [it just seems weird having these two opposite things together. it’s like giving bambi an ak-47.]
- “Smooth Criminal” by Alien Ant Farm [win.]
- LittleBigPlanet Kratos Costume [if this isn’t a reason to give into buying littlebigplanet, i don’t know what is.]
- Street Fighter IV Shoryuken Pack [mehhhh.]
- LittleBigPlanet God of War Mini-Pack [what?! another reason?!]
- “Last Resort” by Papa Roach [guitar hero stuff, i am going to guess.]
- Street Fighter IV Femme Fatale Pack [not going to lie, i will be pissed off if it’s just a collection of stupid bitches.]
- LittleBigPlanet Metal Gear Solid – Costume Kit [wow. make your sackbag look like snake? not weird at all.]
- Killzone 2: Flash & Thunder Pack [hmm.]
- LittleBigPlanet Monsters Kit [did LBP lose a bet?]
- WWE SmachDown vs. Raw 2009 Roster Update [bah!]
- “I Stand Alone” by Godsmack [i guess this is DLC for rockband or something?]
- Fallout 3: The Pitt [an excellent DLC. if you don’t have it, obtain it.]
- “Losing My Religion” by R.E.M. [meh.]
- LittleBigPlanet PATAPON Costume Pack [obviously the work of satan, PATAPON looks ridiculous. yeah, i judged it without playing. sue me.]
happy new year! all the best in 2010.