someone hacked kinect to help the blind? no seriously, it happened. go read about it on msnbc. kinect, you are a smug bastard.
interesting story regarding kinect. apparently, a little autistic boy is handling it like a pro. this is interesting since he’s not able to handle the traditional controls. the boy is kyle, son of john yan from gamingnexus.com.
the whole article is pretty great, but this in particular was interesting:
But, I decided to see if he could follow my directions and interact with the menus. I said hold out your hand and place it on the button. Without any hesitation, he put his hand up and moved it over the button on the screen and held it there until the circle animation finished, indicating the button has been pressed. After that initial coaching, he proceeded to move around in the menus without much vocal cues from me.
i know i have been bashing kinect all this time, but i love seeing new uses for technology. kind of like how the wii is great for seniors and their health. gamingnexus.com has the full article, but it’s worth a read. i’m not sure that one case makes kinect a legitimate gaming device, but it’s definitely got my attention.
are you tired of hearing snarky comments about sony’s move? i am. microsoft kinect? wtf? xbox fanboys are frothing at the mouth over it, but why? it’s more expensive than sony’s efforts and frankly seems to be far more boring. i may get the move, but i gotta say that i’m going to finish the stack of games they bombarded us with the last few years. what i really like is that i can integrate it into my life, later. today, just for fun, i am going to rip apart microsoft fucking kinect. and then let’s do everyone a favour and drop it, mmkay?
even the name of the product fails. playstation move: very obvious what it does. even if you may not be sure what it does, you know one thing: something will move. in a good way, of course.
microsoft kinect? sounds like a program for illiteracy. ‘the bill and melinda gates foundation are, like, wicked stoked to announce the launch of microsoft kinect. it’s a program that will teach children to read so they can speak good and stuff.’
a lot saddens me about kinect games. not only did they choose all of the most unimaginative, boring adjectives possible, but then they started to make up their own. let’s examine a sampling of games:
- Kinectimals: i shit you not. probably the best you will find, if you think petting a cartoon tiger in a video game is fun. then again, it’s marginally more exciting than their other offerings.
- The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout: i strongly suspect that this is more a hilarious in-joke at microsoft regarding their consumer base than an actual game.
- Kinect Joy Ride: ‘unsuitable product name? oh please, like anyone will object to children being taught the finer points of hotwiring a car. the fingers of children are so nimble. this is the perfect activity for an impressionable child… ok, if emma from marketing ACTUALLY has a problem with this name, she can kiss my ass. ever since she and tom had that baby she’s turned into SUCH a killjoy.’
- MotionSports: ‘lol steve from creative got called into a meeting and then went home. guess we’ll have to think up a name ourselves.’
playstation move games? let’s see…
- killzone 3
- zumba fitness
- littlebigplanet 2
- nba 2k11
playstation move? needs the playstation eye ($40) and a controller ($50). games are going to be $40. plus you apparently don’t really need the other controller; you can use the regular one.
kinect? well, microsoft carries on their proud tradition of gouging people for their products. assuming you have a fully-stocked xbox 360 [for which you paid way more than a ps3 owner would have for a comparable system], your price tag is: $150. it comes bundled with a game, but every game after that is $60. bitch, PLEASE. who comes up with this shit?
ultimately, the kinect has one advantage: it doesn’t need a controller. you’re it. and if that little novelty will win you over, then go for it. otherwise, stop bitching and let people enjoy what they want.
they want you to believe that this is more than a dick-measuring contest, but i dunno. here’s a chart of how each motion controller console stacks up against the other. click to enlarge the image.
all right, microsoft didn’t actually say they should have made kinect shiny. but frankly, $150 on something that goes for far less in other consoles makes me a little mad. there’s an unacceptable amount of dumb here.
then microsoft pulled out allll the stops on its train to hell. ‘fuck it!’ they yelled. ‘bitches, we are a giant. buy this shit so we can rub our bodies with your money, the results of your hard work.’ fanboys and fangirls obligingly complied. then microsoft released this photo, and the silence was deafening.
lolz. microsoft is going to charge people $150 for this. ps don’t think this robot shit won’t happen. click the image to enlarge.
hello. i found this via kombo.com, who share with us the top 10 E3 2010 announcements. there’s a lot, but what caught my interest were these:
- kinect, as microsoft calls project natal now, is something for a moron. they are SO desperate you buy it that they stop at nothing. look out for this kinect shit coming out november 4.
- the new halo will involve outer space
- goldeneye is coming to the wii. obnoxiousgamer may have to actually get a wii.
i am sure there will be more, but read the rest of the e3 2010 announcements